Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Walk Around Marshall

     Shelly keeps asking me for more pictures of the different buildings that we have here in Marshall. So I took advantage of Labor Day and walked around the village and took pictures of most of the buildings around town. Although Marshall isn't that big it took me awhile to get around because every little bit there was someone who wanted to chat or a student asking me what I was doing.

 The American and Alaskan flags at Marshall School
 The utility station
The main store in Marshall (there are two others)  
 
 The community center, never was finished
 The Russian Orthodox church
Marshall's Post Office
 Good Advice
 The poop pond
 The road I was walking on
 Beautiful mountains around Marshall
 A cool old machine (not sure what it is)
The Yukon was raging. It was a very windy day!
 Someone's fishing boat
 Fish drying out (jerky)
 City offices
 The pool hall (one o is missing)
 Another store, I've never been inside
 Fuel storage tanks
Generators that produce electricity for our village
 The lone fuel pump
 Evangelical Christan Church
 Teacher housing

These next few pictures are for my boys. I wish that they were here so they could see these big tractors and trucks work. They would love it. 

Large tractor
 Giant dump truck
 Bobcat style tractor with tracks
 Mobile crane
 
 Our village garbage truck
 Loading drywall into the second floor
 Stacks and stacks of insulated pipe

     Well here it is, Marshall Alaska in one blog post. There are some other buildings that didn't make the cut. I still need to take some pictures of the airport, but it is a three mile hike one way and there has been bears seen around there, so I need a gun. For some reason I didn't take a picture of the Catholic Church, not sure why I walk by it everyday. I also didn't take a picture of the store that is near the gas pump. Maybe in the next few weeks I will add those pictures to another post.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, such a small town. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted pics from your town. It makes it real to me. Good call staying away from the bears! I appreciated the truck/tractor pics too. Having 3 boys has rubbed off on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack says, "I think it's good. Can I see the other diggers?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pics! "The Poop Pond"... *shaking my head* :)

    ReplyDelete